Before the dawn of everything internet, insurance was intimate and personal. You walked down the street to chat with your broker and the risk to your business, your livelihood, was covered with a handshake. Today is different. The average insurance policy for a mom+pop store’s trades through a dozen different hands and traverses a maze of systems and processes. Few are accountable and fewer know the whole story.
This is just a taste of the type of big problem we want you to solve. We seek a VP Product to help drive a new digital product innovation team on a mission to bring a new type of interaction to a market once exclusively driven by in-person relationships.
As one of the founding members of a small, multi-disciplinary team of technologists, designers, and product managers, you’ll have the freedom to make key product decisions without much oversight, and the tools and resources to build and ship ideas quickly. You’ll be a part of a startup-like environment in a company with thousands of existing customers.
Who you are
You’re working at a startup with a lifespan near its finish. You’re the talented member of a team at a popular technology company looking for the opportunity to have more control and leadership. You’re the workhorse at an agency, tired of coding products for promotions instead of real users. Ever thought of creating your own product?
Some signs you might be ready:
- Your love for product and leading a team is apparent from day one. You’re on the TestFlight version of all your favorite apps, and nerd out on Product Hunt during your commute.
- You understand digital economics, financial services, business needs, and love to get in the weeds of why/how/when a product has fit.
- You can explain what makes a user experience good or bad and have strong intuition for what people want to do and excellent product judgement.
- You’ve worked on an agile team, managed and reported to senior stakeholders, and can sprint like Usain Bolt.
- Others naturally look to you for guidance. You understand group dynamics and organize chaotic situations into aligned action.
- You’ve got a high signal-to-noise ratio. You’re persuasive and sensitive to nuance. You love to solve problems to unblock yourteam.
- You easily recognize aesthetic and functional details and can make pragmatic decisions about what details are actually important.
- You could write final text for UI strings, marketing copy, or press releases. Your writing is pithy, clear, and in command of tone.
What you'll own
- Product vision, strategy, and roadmap product goals and objectives for a family of products.
- Lead the ideation, technical development, and launch of MVPs and scaled products.
- Manage teams through the entire product life cycle from strategic planning to tactical activities.
- Define and analyze metrics that inform the success of products.
- Facilitate communication throughout the development process between internal stakeholders and customers while protecting the freedom of the team.
- Maintain a balance between the needs of our users and the needs of the business.
- Coordinate and build strong working relations with various internal stakeholder groups, including business unit owners, IT, and legal.
- Insurance or financial services business knowledge (preferred, not required)
- 5-7 years of product management experience in a leadership role
- Lean / agile software development
- Bonus: Startup experience
Join us. We're currently accepting inquiries for a fall 2016 start date for roles based in NYC.